St James the Great Church

Website

Clicking the above link will take you to a website that is not operated by Hotfrog. Hotfrog is not responsible for the content or availability of linked sites.
Address: The RectoryMacclesfieldCheshireSK11 9RJ

St James the Great Church
Category: Community Services & Organizations

Key contact details for St James the Great Church
Phone
01260 223201
Email
Email business
Website
www.gawsworthchurch.co.uk
Address
The Rectory, Macclesfield Cheshire, SK11 9RJ
 

Anglican Church

Place of worship

Religious Organisation

Business profile

ABOUT OUR CHURCH The walls of the nave were built of limestone in 1430 and the chancel and tower of pink sandstone in 1480. The splendid nave roof, barrel beam in design and unique in this Diocese, is five hundred years old and shows traces of its original brilliant colouring and gilt. The chancel roof is arch camber beam in construction and has rare panelled sections with tie beams. This was never painted but this and the nave roof are of exceptional beauty of design and in excellent condition. St James' Church is in the village of Gawsworth, Cheshire, England, and is sited near Gawsworth Hall. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Macclesfield and the deanery of Macclesfield. Clifton-Taylor includes it in his list of 'best' English parish churches. The authors of the Buildings of England series describe the church as being "pretty". History There is a record of a chapel on the site in the 13th century but the present building dates from the 15th century. Architecture Exterior The church is constructed in yellow and red ashlar sandstone with stone roofs. The nave is the oldest part, dating from about 1430, the tower and chancel being built some 40 years later. The church is entirely Perpendicular in style. The plan of the church consists of a tower at the west end, a wide three-bay nave without aisles, a south porch and a chancel divided from the nave by a screen. The tower has angular buttresses with niches which used to contain statues. It also has gargoyles, eight pinnacles, the coats of arms of Cheshire families, and Tudor badges. The porch also has niches over the doorway. The nave and chancel are embattled with pinnacles. Interior The rafter beam ceiling of the nave dates from the 15th century and the camber beam chancel ceiling, which is panelled, dates from slightly later. The chancel screen is dated 1894. The octagonal 16th-century font sits on a 19th-century stem with a wooden cover. At the east end of the chancel is a sanctus cot and bell. In the 19th century most of the old stained glass was removed, although fragments remain in the chancel windows. The stained glass in the east window is by William Wailes. In the chancel are four tombs of members of the Fitton (Fytton) family. The oldest is an altar tomb to Francis Fytton dated 1608. On the top of the tomb is his recumbent bearded effigy and beneath him is a skeleton. Opposite is the monument to Dame Alice Fitton who died around 1626. In front of her seated effigy are effigies of her two sons kneeling, and behind her are figures of her two daughters, also kneeling. Adjacent is the tomb of Sir Edward Fitton, 1st baron

  • Business profile

    ABOUT OUR CHURCH The walls of the nave were built of limestone in 1430 and the chancel and tower of pink sandstone in 1480. The splendid nave roof, barrel beam in design and unique in this Diocese, is five hundred years old and shows traces of its original brilliant colouring and gilt. The chancel roof is arch camber beam in construction and has rare panelled sections with tie beams. This was never painted but this and the nave roof are of exceptional beauty of design and in excellent condition. St James' Church is in the village of Gawsworth, Cheshire, England, and is sited near Gawsworth Hall. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Macclesfield and the deanery of Macclesfield. Clifton-Taylor includes it in his list of 'best' English parish churches. The authors of the Buildings of England series describe the church as being "pretty". History There is a record of a chapel on the site in the 13th century but the present building dates from the 15th century. Architecture Exterior The church is constructed in yellow and red ashlar sandstone with stone roofs. The nave is the oldest part, dating from about 1430, the tower and chancel being built some 40 years later. The church is entirely Perpendicular in style. The plan of the church consists of a tower at the west end, a wide three-bay nave without aisles, a south porch and a chancel divided from the nave by a screen. The tower has angular buttresses with niches which used to contain statues. It also has gargoyles, eight pinnacles, the coats of arms of Cheshire families, and Tudor badges. The porch also has niches over the doorway. The nave and chancel are embattled with pinnacles. Interior The rafter beam ceiling of the nave dates from the 15th century and the camber beam chancel ceiling, which is panelled, dates from slightly later. The chancel screen is dated 1894. The octagonal 16th-century font sits on a 19th-century stem with a wooden cover. At the east end of the chancel is a sanctus cot and bell. In the 19th century most of the old stained glass was removed, although fragments remain in the chancel windows. The stained glass in the east window is by William Wailes. In the chancel are four tombs of members of the Fitton (Fytton) family. The oldest is an altar tomb to Francis Fytton dated 1608. On the top of the tomb is his recumbent bearded effigy and beneath him is a skeleton. Opposite is the monument to Dame Alice Fitton who died around 1626. In front of her seated effigy are effigies of her two sons kneeling, and behind her are figures of her two daughters, also kneeling. Adjacent is the tomb of Sir Edward Fitton, 1st baron

St James the Great Church's Keywords

Anglican Church | Place of worship | Religious Organisation | Christmas Tree Festival | Prayer Book Society | St James the Great | The Church of England

Verified on Hotfrog

St James the Great Church

Verified ID: 1097346204835840

Verified 09/07/2018 @ 08:49:45
Last updated 09/07/2018 @ 08:49:45