Nutritional Menu Development
Nutritional and Food Standards Compliance
Have you received a visit from Ofsted since the new nutritional guide lines came into force in September 2009?
If not, ask yourself two questions:
· Is my current catering service providing meals for my pupils which is meeting the nutritional standards?
· And can I prove it?
If the answer is No or you are not sure, then
The First Class Catering Company can help.
For a fully compliant service, you need to consider the following:
· Does your school have a recipe file for all menus?
· Do your menus adhering to the Food Based Standards?
· Have your menus been analysed using up-to-date nutritional analytic software such as Saffron or Nutmeg?
· Do you have a green graph across all 14 nutrients?
The First Class Catering Company can help, providing School documentation evidencing compliance with the new standards for Osted.
Recipe Book & Menu Development
The First Class Catering Company can support your Catering Manager to produce a Recipe Book and Menu Plan, full of mouth watering ideas and recipes which have been adapted to reduce sugar, salt and saturated fats which children will want again and again! Your pupils will be invited to regular tasting sessions to allow them to experience new flavours from around the world and indulge in some old favourites that your staff may remember!
Key to any successful meal service is planning the budget. This may seem a daunting task with so many variables, however The First Class Catering Company can support you every step of the way.
Using our expertise and proven processes we can help prepare your budget, providing detailed information for transparent accounting and improved financial performance.
Monthly, we can support you by providing variance reports which give a breakdown of the monthly finances versus budget plus information, such as:
· Spend per head,
· Uptake on Free School and Paid meals, as numbers and percentages.
Essential information on the success of any meal service.
By using our proven methods, we have excelled in increasing uptake of the meals service in Schools despite the national trend showing a decline.
With the cost of food at its highest level for ten years, you need to know your buying from the best possible source. Some suppliers and caterers have increased their prices or reduced the quality in order to boost their own profit margins.
Working closely with our purchasing partners, we are able to provide you with the latest market information, and the best produce at the most competitive prices.
If you are looking for improvement in your purchasing ability, The First Class Catering Company can help. We will:
· Review your current arrangements,
· Identify where and how improvements can be made,
· Identify local or ethical suppliers where appropriate,
· Negotiate on your behalf to ensure you receive the very best value for money.
Catering can be an expensive service to provide, so ask yourself when was the last time you fully assessed it to make sure your school is getting the best return on your investment.
We can help to answer the following questions:
· Are you paying too much for your current provision?
· How do your operational costs compare with industries averages?
· Are you getting value for money?
You may be considering tendering or market testing your service. If you are, we can provide support through the various stages of the process. The First Class Catering Company will offer impartial advice on the options available to best suit your School.
Our tailored service ensures your interests are paramount throughout the process by helping you to:
- Specify the catering service,
- Establish Expressions of Interest,
- Compilation of catering tender documentation
- Facilitation of site visits to the client and reference sites,
- Tender evaluation,
- Presentations by prospective contractors,
- Full negotiations of contracts,
- Contract mobilisation and hand-over process,
- Ongoing contract monitoring and reviews.
Our service will give you the peace of mind that the process will be handled in a totally professional manner with unbiased advice and opinions at every step.
Once the tender is awarded we can support you with ongoing reviews and monitoring to ensure the contractor complies with the original contract. By setting key performance indicators and benchmarking them with their peers, you will be assured of the best possible service to your School.
In-House Support Service
If your current service is “in house” or you’re considering this as an option, we help. We will ensure your catering team is kept abreast of all legislative changes and provide the right tools to help them succeed.
We will provide support to you and the Catering Manager by assisting with the business and marketing plans, and agreement and setting of the annual budget. We will give regular support of financial and best practice reviews, customer survey and training as required. We will also offer additional support to your Catering Manager with a dedicated point of contact for them to discuss any issues with an experienced catering advisor, whenever needed.
The quality audit system has been developed to improve your existing service and provides reassurance that the service quality are to the highest standards. The audit encompasses:
· The Front of House service and appearance,
· The food on offer,
· HACCP procedures and much more.
Once the audit has been completed we will produce a detailed report on our findings together with an action plan and agreed timescales for the implementation of recommended changes.
Effective financial controls are essential to the running of a successful business. Our financial audit will consider all areas of income and cost.
A detailed report will be provided considering the following areas:
· All income streams with recommendations for areas of improvement,
· Uptake figures with benchmarking within local area,
· Food Cost Analysis with recommendations for improvement,
· Labour review with time and motion study as required,
· Miscellaneous cost benchmarking,
· Spend per head analysis,
· Daily income trends.
Health and Safety / Hygiene Audit
To ensure compliance with the very latest Health and Safety / Hygiene Legislation, we have a rigorous audit process. This reviews a kitchen / eating area and provide recommendations in order of the highest priority of non-compliance, with best practice methods that the kitchen should adopt.