VERTEBRATE ZOOLOGY – Distance Learning Course
ACS Distance Education
Distance learning, correspondence courses, distance education
Lesson 1. Vertebrate Taxonomy and Diversity Taxonomic classifications
• Phylum, Division, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species
• Vertebrata, Chordata (chordates), Acrania, Urochordata (Tunicata), Ascidia, Synacidiae, Thaliacea (Salpae), Appendiculariae, Cyclostomata (Lampreys and Hagfish), Chondrichthyes (Sharks, Skates and Rays, Elephant Fishes), Osteichthyes (Bony Fishes) (Choanichthyes (Lungfish), Amphibia (Amphibians – Frogs and Toads, Newts and Salamanders, Caecilians), Reptilia (Crocodiles, Lizards and Snakes, Turtles and Tortoises, Marine Iguanas), Aves (Birds), Mammalia (Mammals).
• Morphology and Evolution
• Environmental and Genetic Influences
• Speciation, Diversification
• Food types and distribution
Lesson 2. Fishes: Fish Diversity - Covering major groups:
• Class Agnatha (jawless fishes),
• Class Chondrichthyes (cartilaginous fishes) and
• Class Osteichthyes (bony fishes).
Lesson 3. Ectotherms –Amphibians and Reptiles:
• Definitions, Endothermy, Ectotermic, Tetrapods
• Urodela (Caudata) – Salamanders and Newts
• Order Anura (Salientia) – Frogs and Toads
• Order Apoda (Gymnophiona) – Caecilians
• Class Reptilia – Reptiles (turtles, lizards, snakes, crocodiles and the extinct Dinosauria)
• Order Rhynchocephalia – Tuatara
• Order Chelonia (Testudines) – Turtles
• Order Crocodilia – Crocodilians
• Order Squamata – Lizards and Snakes
Lesson 4. Birds
• Physiology (Structure) and Anatomy, Feathers, Colour, Legs, Skeletal structure, Muscles, Senses,
• Behaviour (Flight, Diving, etc),
• Egg formation and Hatching.
• Bird Taxonomy
• Ratitae (flightless) birds;
• Carinatea (flying birds)
• Bird orders ( eg. Grebes, divers, Ducks, geese and swans, Storks, flamingoes and herons, Owls, Eagles, falcons and hawks, Pelicans, gannets and cormorants,
• Chickens, turkeys, game birds and mount birds,
• Rails, coots and cranes,
• Pigeons and sand grouse,
• Gulls, auks and plovers,
• Parrots, parakeets, Hummingbirds, swifts, Woodpeckers, toucans, Kingfishers, bee-eaters and hornbills, Trogonos, quetzals, plumed birds,
• Perching birds such as sparrows, starlings, swallows (Passeriformes),
• Diving birds, loons, Cuckoos, coucals Nighthawks, whippoorwills, Mousebirds, etc.
Lesson 5. Mammals (Mammalia)
• Sub classes Prototheria (egg laying animals)
• Subclass Metatheria (Marsupials) and
• Subclass Eutatheria (Placental mammals -these include such diverse forms as whales, elephants, shrews, and armadillos, dogs, cats, sheep, cattle, horses, monkeys and of course humans).
Lesson 6. Marsupials
• Subclass Metatheria (eg. kangaroos, koalas, wombats, bandicoots, opossums, phalangers, etc)
Lesson 7. Grandorders Glires and Insectivora
• Rodents, Rabbits, Pikas, Hedgehogs, Moles, Shrews and Tenrecs.
Lesson 8. Carnivores
• Dogs, wolves, bears, racoons, cats, weasels, hyenas, seals, sea lions and walruses.
Lesson 9. Hoofed Mammals (Ungulata).
There are seven separate orders within Ungulata as follows:
• Order Artiodactyla. This includes: Hippopotamus, Deer, Giraffe, Sheep, Cattle, Antelope, Camelids
• Order Cetacea. This includes: Dolphins, Porpoises, Whales
• Order Perissodactyla. This includes: Horses, Rhinoceros, Tapirs
• Order Tubulidentata. This includes: Ardvarks
• Order Hyracoidea. This includes: Hyraxes (or Conies)
• Order Proboscidea. This includes: Elephants
• Order Sirenia. This includes: Manatees and Dugongs
Lesson 10. Primates and other Archonta. This grandorder is sub divided into four sub orders:
• Scandentia e.g. Tree Shrews
• Dermoptera e.g. Flying Lemurs, Colugos
• Chiroptera. This order comprises the bats.
• Primates (Or Order Primates and sub order Strepsirhini) e.g. humans, monkeys, apes and lemurs
Find out more at http://www.acsedu.co.uk/Courses/Environmental/VERTEBRATE-ZOOLOGY-BEN104-528.aspx
Or email us at [email protected] for more information
, distance education
, Distance learning
, Study Courses