CUTTING PROPAGATION – Distance Learning Course
ACS Distance Education
Distance learning, correspondence courses, distance education
Cutting Propagation Course. The course is divided into eight lessons as follows:
1. Introduction. The principles of propagating plants by cuttings.:Importance of cuttings, Phenotype vs genotype, why choose cutting propagation, where to get cuttings from, basic cutting technique.
2. Stem cuttings. Ease with which tissue forms roots, types of stem cuttings (softwood, hardwood, semi hardwood, herbaceous, tip, heel, nodal, cane etc), treatments (eg. basal heat, mist, tent, etc), testing rooting, etc.
3. Non-stem cuttings. Leaf cuttings, root cuttings (natural suckering with or without division, Induced suckering, In situ whole root cuttings; ex situ detached root cuttings), bulb cuttings, scaling and twin scaling, sectioning, basal cuttage.
4. Materials and equipment. Selection and maintenance of stock plants; disinfecting cutting material;
5. Growing media. Propagation media; biological, chemical and physical characteristics of propagation and potting media, Testing for toxins, air filled porosity, potting up cuttings, soil-less mixes, rockwool, etc.
6. Factors affecting rooting. Juvenility, Cutting Treatments (hormones & their application, anti transparents, acid/base treatments, disinfectants etc), Callusing, Mycorrhizae, Carbon Dioxide enrichment, etc.
7. Setting up a propagation area. Creating and managing an appropriate cutting environment in terms of: Water; Disease; Temperature; Light and Air Quality. Greenhouses and other structures, watering methods (mist, fog, capillary etc), heating, etc.
8. Management of cutting crops. Estimating cost of production; Keeping records, etc.
Find out more at http://www.acsedu.co.uk/Courses/General-Horticulture/CUTTING-PROPAGATION-BHT211-394.aspx
Or email us at [email protected] for more information
, distance education
, Distance learning
, Study Courses