SAFEGUARD INDEPENDENT WATCH AUTHENTICATION OFFERS REASSURANCE THAT A WATCH IS WHAT IT PURPORTS TO BE, PRIOR TO VALUATION OR SALE.
The market for second hand Swiss made branded watches is very strong and the increasing sophistication of counterfeits and the prevalence of “hybrids” is a cause for concern within the trade.
SafeGuard valuers regularly see four different categories of watch:
- The genuine article still in its original condition, which will command full value
- The genuine article, but with embellishments such as additional diamonds which may in fact devalue it
- An article made from genuine components sourced from different models, of significantly
- A well made copy which is completely counterfeit and of very little value
The Authentication Procedure
- An experienced expert assesses the watch visually, using their knowledge to scrutinize any distinctive characteristics and to determine its authenticity
- Where appropriate, a skilled watchmaker opens the watch case to authenticate the movement
- All serial numbers are recorded and checked where necessary.
- The watch is resealed in an authorized watch workshop in line with the manufacturers’ recommended procedures
- All information is detailed on the Watch
- Authentication Report
- A SafeGuard Watch Authentication is available as a stand alone service, particularly valuable for pawnbrokers or for private sale.
- The report provides a useful supplement to a SafeGuard Valuation where the valuer cannot determine the authenticity of the watch without opening the case.