SMED (Single Minute Exchange of Die)
Business Impact UK Ltd
lean, SMED, Single Minute Exchange of Die
SMED is a lean methodology that reduces downtime due to machine setups and changeovers.
It is a phrase coined by Shigeo Shingo at Toyota Motors in the 1960’s and has come to be used as a synonym for fast changeover.
SMED is an excellent system and should be a significant part of any changeover reduction programme.
Who is it for?
This workshop is for Engineers and operational teams identifying actual / potential bottle necks / concerns and Managers needing to scope the application of SMED.
Workshop consists of:
• Background to SMED
• Elements of SMED
• Practical Application of SMED
• Sustaining SMED
• Shorter set-up operations
• Shorter production runs = smaller batches
• More flexible production = shorter lead times
• Customer satisfaction = more responsive
• Competitive advantage
, Single Minute Exchange of Die