One of the leading providers of Private Medical Insurance in the UK, part of one of the world’s largest insurance companies, sought to develop the performance of their sales, account management and sales management teams. The ‘Sales Academy’ has since developed over the course of 4 years, with over 100 delegates receiving individual bespoke sales development.
With the marketplace in decline and with what is sometimes seen as a homogenised product offering, our client wanted to create some ‘clear water’ between themselves and their competitors by creating a leading sales organisation. The key drivers were to:
- Increase revenue
- To create stronger relationships with their key clients and brokers to enable them to improve the percentage of business referred
- Retain their top performers
- Develop an industry leading reputation to attract high quality staff.
The Scope of the Work
The programme was developed in close collaboration with the sales leadership team and the internal training team; it has been in place since 2003. The stages in the project were:
- Development of a series of sales competency benchmarks (at basic, intermediary and advanced levels foreach role)
- Development Centres to assess skills against the agreed benchmarks
- Data collected and reviewed with Solution Cell and the internal training team
- A series of bespoke training modules were designed and delivered to fulfil individual and group development needs
- Migration of the development programme to the internal training team to form part of their sales induction
- Solution Cell remained the preferred partner for bespoke development where the internal team where under resourced or did not have the appropriate skills in house
- Assessment of the teams after three years through revised Development Centres.
Critical Success Factors
- Management buy-in and support at all levels from day one
- Collaboration between the internal training team and Solution Cell
- Focus on the reinforcement of training by line management to ensure the longevity of results.
The Benefits and Outcomes of the Programme
- Increase in revenue for 3 years following launch
- Increase in positive feedback from brokers and hence uplift in referral business
- Staff survey showed some top performers (15%) had considered leaving before Sales Academy – this reduced to zero, with many staff still there 6 years on
- Have an attitude of growing their talent
“It was important to understand how our business really works, before undertaking any
training. With Solution Cell’s help we have been able to capture the good things we
have – motivation, good ethos etc. – and reflect these in skills training that is imbued
with company culture.”
Director of Commercial Sales