This level 2 course is designed for people who have, or are studying
towards, a 6129 Level 2 Technical Certificate in Plumbing. It uses the
core skills learned in the 6129 and assesses your ability to demonstrate
the skills in your workplace. Your ability is recorded/demonstrated by
the production of a portfolio of evidence, supplied in readiness for
completion by City and Guilds. As the course is primarily on-site
assessed there are no pre-determined course start dates.
This course is open to both men and women who have already passed, or
are studying towards the City and Guilds 6129 Level 2 in Plumbing.
- Health and Safety - the legal requirements that must be met by you and your employer.
- Key Plumbing Principles - covers the science of plumbing, introducing the basic materials, theories and concepts.
- Common Plumbing Processes - teaches basic skills such as bending, jointing and fixing copper pipe and low carbon steel pipe.
- Cold Water Systems - collection, storage, treatment, supply and distribution of cold water.
- Hot Water Systems - instantaneous and storage systems.
- Central Heating Systems - level 2 covers pipework only.
- Electrical Supply - level 2 is restricted to basic practical skills on non-live components.
- Sanitation Systems - sanitary appliances, pipework and fittings and rainwater systems.
- Sheet Lead Work - basic principles, fabrication techniques, weathering and flashing.
- Environmental Awareness - energy conservation, disposal of waste and prevention of wastage.
- Working With Others - as well as excellent technical skills, you
will need to know how to deal with other people by developing your
- Basic Plumbing Studies - with a GOLA end test.
If you already hold, or are studying, the 6129 Technical
Certificate then several aspects listed above will be carried forward as
acceptable evidence towards your 6089.
You will be required to demonstrate your ability to;
- install hot and cold connections to at least 2 different appliances in 2 different locations
- decommission hot and cold connections from at least 2 different appliances in 2 different locations
- rectify faults on at least 2 different installations
- make maintenance repairs to at least 2 different devices
- plan out the methods needed to undertake a job
- work safely with due regard to yourself and others
- take care of your customer's property
- correctly use ladders stand-steps and mobile scaffold
As part of this evidence you will need at least 3 visits from one
of our centre assessors and be required to provide photographic evidence
of any work not seen directly by the assessor. As these on-site
arrangements can vary, learner to learner, we will guide you through exactly how it applies to you.
You have 3 years to complete this course from initial registration.
£1200 + VAT @ 17.5% = £1410. This covers your course tutorials on the
completion of your log-book and 3 on-site visits. Should your
circumstances need more than 3 visits there will be an additional fee
charged for each visit - typically £100 per visit dependant on location.
A successful candidate will receive an NVQ level 2 in plumbing.
You may choose to study:
, , , , , .