Help your staff manage their bosses.
management training, management development, Leadership Training
Slimline management structures can cut costs. But if there’s more than one boss in the mix, everyone in the hierarchy assumes they’re the most important. Work pressures can mushroom. Do you know what it feels like for your staff?
Seven Leadership Secrets.
Here are seven leadership secrets to help your staff meet all their managers’ expectations:
1. Structures and systems matter. Conflicting priorities and working patterns that don’t mesh will stress your employees. You can’t afford that, especially at the current time.
2. Ensure clear communication between yourselves. Matrix managers must communicate regularly, deciding priorities and keeping each other posted. If staff become political ping-pong players, trying to second-guess what matters most to the organisation, they are likely to fail; which leader should they follow and who should they ignore? The risk is they do nothing, and when productivity falls… it’s your fault!
3. In pressured times, small things can trigger unexpected reactions – as leaders you should take heed of the warning signs and step in before there’s a crisis.
4. Communicating by email and instant messaging help, but when did you last demonstrate “management by walking around” and cross the office for a chat or at least pick up the phone?
5. People who are constantly looking over their shoulder will do just enough to avoid the flack and keep their job. To be bold, creative or engaged, they need to feel safe …or the organisation will suffer.
6. Ensure every Jack and Jill feels valued. Designated managers should be responsible for named individuals. People need to belong and be listened to to feel engaged.
7. Too many people in control can leave staff feeling powerless. Give employees the chance to take charge – maybe they can see solutions, after all they are doing the job!
Manager or Leader.
LeaderShape focus firmly on practical leadership training and development: Developing leadership capability through the coaching, mentoring and facilitation of individuals, groups and teams. Their free online quiz can help you identify the qualities that help turn a manager into a great leader.
, leadership skills
, Leadership Training
, management development
, management training