The MBSR course schedule consists of nine weekly classes with the first session being an initial consultation and orientation allowing both parties the opportunity to discuss if this course of development is appropriate for them at that point in time. This is then followed by eight weekly sessions each session teaches new skills and offers a deepening into those already learned.
All of our sessions can be booked individually or as an entire 9 week course and are undertaken at your home or place of work.
This highly participatory, practical course, pioneered by Jon Kabat-Zinn, includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle Yoga
- Confidential discussion aimed at enhancing awareness in everyday life
- Daily home mindfulness and meditation assignments
- Individually tailored instruction
- Scientific research indicates that the majority of people who complete the course report:
- Continued decreases in psychological and physical symptoms
- Reductions in pain levels and an enhanced ability to manage persistent pain
- Greater energy and enthusiasm for life
- Improved self-esteem
- Enhanced ability to cope more effectively with both long and short-term stress
- An increased ability to relax
Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy is founded on the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction course it is a non-drug based treatment, developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn.
Zindel Segal, Mark Williams and John Teasdale adapted MBSR into a 9 week course with the first session being an initial consultation and orientation allowing both parties the opportunity to discuss if this course of development is appropriate for them at that point in time. This can be undertaken at your home or place of work.
MBCT is specifically designed for people who have experienced more than two episodes of depression.
In addition to the skills taught in MBSR, participants in MBCT courses are taught skills to disengage from the habitual 'automatic' repetitive re-running of habitual 'automatic' negative thoughts, which increases vulnerability to depression relapse. MBCT teaches the intentional 'shifting' of mental gears, using present moment awareness. The focus is on becoming more aware, moment by moment, of thoughts and feelings as simply temporary 'weather patterns' of the mind. This develops a different relationship to thoughts and feelings, allowing them to be seen as clouds of experience which move through our 'sky' of awareness and which are not necessarily the reality in any given moment.
Mindfulness can be challenging at times, the instructor is there to support your learning; and will be available via e-mail to discuss any difficulties that arise as part of your practice, we also encourage you to have your own support system to enable getting the most out of the course.
You will have a weekly link of 45 minutes on the phone with a mindfulness instructor who will guide you through the syllabus of the 8-week programme.
- You will need to commit to spending up to an hour each day:
- Listening and practising, using audio material
- Making notes of your experiences
- Undertaking some informal daily life practices.
- What’s included?
- 9 x 45 minute weekly phone link. The first session being an initial consultation and orientation allowing both parties the opportunity to discuss if this course of study is appropriate for them at that point in time.
- Teacher e-mail support between sessions.
- Please note participants in this programme,
- The cost of making the phone call (To a BT UK based Landline number) is not included in the
fee – we ask that you call the instructor.
- You will make the arrangements for the mutually pre-agreed timings of the phone calls with your instructor.
- It is important that you keep to the times agreed; we are unable to make changes to the arrangements.