20 Diseases & Conditions
associated with being overweight
is a growing concern in the United States; & Europe overweight rates have
doubled among children and tripled among adolescents. This increases the number
of years that they are exposing themselves to dangerous health risks associated
Here are 20 diseases or conditions that can be attributed to obesity:
1. Diabetes, a disorder where the pancreas is
not producing enough or sometimes not any insulin. Diabetes can lead to a whole
host of other medical issues and obesity is one of the main causes.
2. Cancer has many different forms and types; many of them could be prevented
with more attention to eating healthily and avoiding obesity.
3. Congestive heart failure is a condition in which your heart can’t pump
enough blood to your body’s other organs.
4. Enlarged heart is another heart condition where the muscle of your heart
becomes larger due to being overworked, which naturally happens if you are
5. Pulmonary embolism is a sometimes fatal blockage of an artery. Being
overweight causes most people to reduce activity, and after time lack of
activity can result in an embolism.
6. Polycystic ovarian syndrome is a condition in which cysts develop in your
ovaries. These can burst, causing even further problems.
7. Gastro-esophageal reflux disease happens when stomach acid and juices flow from
your stomach back up into your esophagus. It is common in overweight people.
8. Fatty liver disease is a reversible condition in which large pockets of fat
accumulate in liver cells.
9. A hernia is caused when the hole in the diaphragm weakens and enlarges.
10. Erectile dysfunction is the inability to develop or maintain an erection,
which can be caused by a medical problem due to obesity.
11. Urinary incontinence is the inability to control urination. It is
frequently associated with obesity, weak bladder and pelvic floor muscles
12. Chronic renal failure, meaning your kidneys fail to work, is a much greater
risk to those who are overweight or obese.
13. Lymph edema is a condition that occurs from a damaged or dysfunctional
lymphatic system, sometimes caused by people suffering from obesity actually
crushing their own lymphatics.
14. Cellulitis is a spreading infection, involving both the dermis and
subcutaneous skin tissues, resulting from poor lymph flow caused by obesity.
15. Stroke is caused by a lack of blood supply to your brain.
16. Pickwickian syndrome is characterized by sleep apnea resulting from obesity
placing an excessive load on your pulmonary system.
17. Depression is a condition where a person feels miserable constantly, even
to the point of being suicidal. It can be worse for someone who also has a
18. Osteoarthritis is a clinical syndrome in which low-grade inflammation
results in pain in your joints. It is caused by abnormal wearing of the
cartilage, oftentimes due to obesity.
19. Gout occurs when uric acid accumulates in your blood. Nerve endings then
become irritated, causing extreme pain, which is made worse by carrying extra
20. Gallbladder disease commonly affects overweight people as a result of high
blood cholesterol levels, which cause gall stones.
According to a Surgeon General report, obesity is responsible for 300,000
deaths every year in the United States.