Delegates learn how to:
· Write crisp, clear copy that will catch the eye of a journalist
· Structure a press release that can be understood with a quick scan
· Banish long winded sentences and jargon
· Tailor their release to be relevant to their own target media
· Lay out a release professionally
. Use supporting material that will help maximise coverage
Understanding Press Releases
The purpose of the press release. The value of the release to the
press. Understanding news values. The importance of targeting. Why
releases are personalised.
Structuring an Effective Release
The vital importance of the intro. The shape of a good release. The
role of quotes. The importance of notes for editors. Writing to length.
Adding photographs and other illustrations. How to present a press
Effective Writing Style Choosing vivid language. Catching the eye of the reader. Avoiding jargon. Writing news copy. Writing for the reader.
Practical Press Release Writing
Delegates work on a number of releases on topics of their own choosing.
These are critiqued and polished by the tutor, and the whole group,
until each delegate works out their own style. This practical work
takes up a substantial part of the day