Breaking Bad News
Breaking bad news at the corporate level
Dealing with organisational change and crisis.
Developing corporate empathy.
Understanding reactions to bad news
How it feels to receive bad news.
How people react.
Some strategies for managing those reactions.
Developing internal and external communications strategies
Linking communications programmes to deliver consistent messages.
Developing common messages.
Choosing the most effective communications channels.
Supporting leaders and managers in breaking bad news
Making the case for good communications.
Helping leaders to demonstrate empathy and integrity.
What skills do you need to break bad news effectively?
The importance of emotional intelligence and listening skills.
Dealing with your own emotions.
Managing the aftermath.
Breaking bad news at the individual level
How to prepare effectively.
Answering difficult questions.
Role play in breaking bad news.
Delegates learn how to:
• Understand the psychology of loss and change and how people react to bad news
• Support line managers in breaking bad news
• Develop internal communications that link to and support effective external communication
• Convince and coach line managers to be good communicators in tough times
• Prepare themselves to deliver bad news effectively
• Deal with the aftermath of breaking bad news
gain a clear understanding of the key elements of planning &
managing communications about controversial and difficult situations.
These could include organisational errors, redundancies and downsizing,
as well as underachievement on sales and other targets.