CARTES 2012 reaffirms smart-technology sector’s dynamism
BUSINESS FRANCE UK
international business development
With over 19,000 visitors and 430 exhibitors from 45 countries at the 2012 trade show, CARTES has confirmed its leading position as an international event in the smart-technology and digital-security sector. The trade fair, which took place in November 2012, also succeeded in reaffirming the dynamism of the market.
international business development
The 27th CARTES trade show for the smart-technology and digital-security industry took place in November 2012. Throughout the three days, over 19,000 international visitors came to meet 435 exhibitors from 45 countries, while discovering 2012's trends and innovations in payment, mobility, security and identification.
With the SESAMES Awards for innovation, topical lectures from experts, and innovation demonstrations, once again the trade fair confirmed its position as an important gathering for the sector, while highlighting the international richness, diversity and dynamism of the industry.
The World Card Summit was the trade show’s opening conference which focussed on the topic of mobile payment and where 570 attendees witnessed a notable presentation by Patrick Gauthier, Head of Operations at PayPal Retail Services. The Summit brought together market leaders including American Express, Gemalto, Giesecke & Devrient, Infineon Technologies, Morpho, NXP Semiconductors and Oberthur Technologies.
At this Summit, Eurosmart also revealed its figures for 2012 and its world-market forecasts. The not-for-profit association confirmed delivery of over 7 billion units of smart-secure devices in 2012 and anticipates strong growth of around 10%, resulting in a delivery of nearly 7.7 billion units in 2013.
At the heart of CARTES 2012, visitors had access to large companies in various dedicated sectors, such as identification, machines, mobile payment, testing and consulting. New trends and various innovations were presented in the Innovation Village, an area reserved for start-up companies, as well as in the Security in the Cloud and Smart Urban Mobility areas.
India was the guest country of honour at CARTES 2012, where there was a higher number of Indian visitors than usual, along with various Indian experts who came to present major identification projects.
CARTES 2012 also held 120 conference sessions with almost 1,600 attendees. This year, the topics of mobile payment, e-commerce, m-commerce, the prepaid market and NFC applications were popular across both the conferences and the stands.
The conference sessions concentrated on the influence of mobile payment on the payment industry; new generation authentication and electronic signatures for mobiles, tablets and PCs; and, finally, prepaid innovations in Europe and around the world. Original perspectives were revealed concerning the behaviour of new consumers, the emergence and economic challenges of mobile wallets, business models for electric-money issuers, banking security on mobiles, and new prepaid cards.
The 11 most promising and astute technological innovations of the year were rewarded in front of 320 guests at CARTE 2012’s SESAMES Awards held at the prestigious Westin Paris-Vendôme hotel, Paris.
• The SESAME Hardware award went to NXP for Next Generation NFC Radio Controller.
• The SESAME Software award went to Intrinsic-ID for Saturnus®.
• The SESAME Identification/ID cards/Healthcare award went to Sunward Telecom Limited for 13.56 MHz RF-SIM.
• The SESAME IT Security award went to Morpho for EMV Pro Digit.
• The SESAME Transport award went to Infineon Technologies AG for Security Controller for Transport Applications.
• The SESAME Banking/Retail/Loyalty award went to Toro Development Ltd for akami suite.
• The SESAME Trusted Internet/Authentication prize went to NXP Semiconductors Austria GmbH for Mobile POS for eTicket and stored value reload.
• SAME Mobility award went to Oberthur Technologies for Multi-brand NFC payment wallet.
• The SESAME e-Transactions award went to Giesecke & Devrient for Portigo.
• The SESAME Manufacturing & Tests award went to Gemalto for PrintPixel.
• New in 2012, the Discovery SESAME award was for the best innovation presented by a start-up company from across the 10 aforementioned categories. The winner was RCDEVS SARL for OpenOTP/TiQR Authentication Server. CARTES 2013 will take place from 19 to 21 November at the Paris Nord Villepinte Exhibition Centre near Paris (France) and Brazil will be the special guest country. The trade show will have the new slogan: Secure Connexions Event, which reflects the organisers desire to develop the connection between the real and virtual worlds.
The CARTES network is made up of the leading international and regional exhibitions and conferences devoted to smart technologies and digital security. It was founded in Paris (France) in 1985 and has grown to become one of the world’s leading events on security and payments.
CARTES events are organised by COMEXPOSIUM, the leading French-based professional trade-show organiser that offers a high level of service and quality standards for both exhibitors and visitors.
CARTES Asia will take place from 27 to 28 March 2013 in Hong Kong (China).
CARTES America will take place from 23 to 25 April 2013 in Las Vegas (US).
CARTES 2013, Secure Connexions Event, will take place from 19 to 21 November 2013 in Paris (France).
For further information about COMEXPOSIUM, please go to: http://en.comexposium.com
For the CARTES blog, please go to : www.blogcartes.com
For further information about CARTES, please go to: www.cartes.com
For further information, please contact : Quote ref. : FTPB3799 Ms Katherine WOODS - Press Officer UBIFRANCE Press Office in London Tel: +44 (0) 207 024 3640 [email protected] View other press releases at : http://www.ubifrance.com/uk/