In 1990, the Government introduced the CBT to reduce the numbers of
incidents involving novice scooter and motorcycle riders. It equips you
with basic skills required for use of our roads. It has been highly
successful; motorcycling as a whole, is far safer.
The CBT is not
an exam or test; it is a training course consisting of a number of
theoretical and practical elements including a two-hour, instructor
supervised road ride. Completion will see you issued with a CBT
certificate (DL196). This entitles you to the following:
- 16 years of age you may ride a 50cc moped or scooter.
- 17 years of age or above you may ride a 125cc motorcycle or scooter.
However, the following restrictions will apply:
- Visible L-plates front and rear at all times
- No motorway usage
- No passengers
- Revalidation of CBT certificate compulsory every two years unless you go on to pass the A2 or DAS course
Course content, fees and kit loan as follows:
- £125 per person
- RAKtrain's own pre-course material aimed to make your day even more constructive
- Latest ECE approved motorcycle helmet
- CE approved armoured waterproof jacket and waterproof trousers
- Protective gloves
- Scooter/geared motorbike
- Pre-road training on RAKtrain's own road system thoroughly preparing you as no other school can
- Official DSA course completion certificate
The training day commences at 08.30hrs, generally finishing at 16.45hrs.