Domestic Energy Performance Certificates

Domestic Energy Performance Certificates from Rainfords Surveyors

By: Rainfords Surveyors  11/02/2009
Keywords: Chartered Surveyors, Property Surveyors, domestic energy assessor

 Energy Reports & Certificates

The Housing Act 2004 requires that a mandatory Home Information Pack (HIP) is put together on homes that come onto the market. What's more, the European Union Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD) provides that Energy Performance Certificates must also be provided for all residential lettings no later than January 2009.

The Energy Performance Certificates are designed to tell you how energy efficient a home is and the impact it has on the environment on a scale of A-G. The most efficient homes - which should have the lowest fuel bills and less impact through carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions - are in band A.  The average property in the UK is in bands D-E for both ratings. The Certificate includes recommendations on ways to improve the home’s energy efficiency to save you money and help the environment.

So Why is it IMPORTANT to get the EPC done properly!! You MUST give every tenant a copy of the EPC – they may ask you to carry out improvements in the EPC. Landlords may use the reports to carry out cost effective improvements to improve their housing stock and achieve better rents.

Keywords: Chartered Surveyors, domestic energy assessor, Property Surveyors