Addressing the challenge at Southern Housing Group
development, learning, Bespoke
Southern Housing Group – addressing the challenge:
Southern Housing Group are one of southern England’s largest housing associations. Their mission is to unlock the potential of people and places. They required training on high impact coaching skills to motivate and develop their staff’s ability to increase their level of performance. They choose Pearlcatchers because of our previous work for them on Management and Leadership Development, 360 Degree Feedback Process and Coaching and Mentoring.
The Pearlcatchers Solution:
Our aim was to up skill the management team to create an inspiring and developmental work culture, so they could support their staff to take ownership of their own learning. We ensured that we linked the content back to the wider ‘Shaping the West Region’ initiative we had been working with them to achieve and utilise what has been raised / learned during the 360 Degree Feedback process, and influencing sessions. We did this by ensuring the delegates -
• Understood the concept of high impact coaching in developing staff skill and increasing motivation and how this links to and differs from other management tools.
• Demonstrated the ability to coach others using GROW Structure, powerful questions and listening skills.
• Identified and practiced listening at different levels
• Gave constructive feedback in a way that would help them build trust and motivation
• Explored the behaviours and motivations linked to different personality types
• Gave them knowledge of how to plan and structure effective coaching sessions
• Practiced using coaching skills in a range of work-specific situations
• Worked with an actor to practice their new skills in a safe environment
Excellent, sustainable results:
The delegates left confident in the knowledge that coaching has a much wider use in dealing with all aspects of managing staff. They were energised and enthused by the theory and practice provided, and had an high level of understanding about how coaching would change the way they approach their role as a manager and their new ability to get the most out of their team.
“Excellent course – theory and practice”
“Real eye opener for someone who has had no experience of coaching!”
“The actor made the theory real which helps me learn the subject”
“It has made me realise that I can use coaching in lots of different ways not just in fill on coaching sessions but in dealing with day to day issues supporting staff”
“Overall course was excellent and a valuable use of two days time”