Changue House is a large 18th Century Scottish Country House nestling in its own grounds amidst stunning countryside classified as being ‘An Area of Outstanding Beauty’. Although remote, it is not far from the small, pretty, Conservation village of Barr with local Pub and Post Office Shop . The River Stinchar runs through the village and guides your way towards Changue House. There are miles of walking and cycling tracks directly from the house leading to lochs and the Galloway Forest Park.
The house itself sits on a known smugglers route and is steeped in history and folklore. It is written that the Laird of Changue once had a fight with the devil and won after selling his soul for great wealth. It is said that the devils footprints can still be seen on the hill opposite where the duel took place.
For the more romantic, it is rumoured that the Scottish Bard, Robert Burns once courted the Laird of Changue’s daughter.
Changue House itself is ideal for a Film Location, Photo Shoot or similar and is also within close proximity to a wealth of opportunities:
· Stunning surrounding landscape with wonderful names such as Ghaist Glen (Ghost Glen) Haggis Hill and Fairie Knowe.
· Miles of beautiful deserted, sandy beaches with views across to Ailsa Craig, Isle of Arran and the Holy Isle.
· An Abundance of sporting activities including the world famous Scottish golf courses of Turnberry, Troon and Prestwick. Mountain Biking, Fishing, Horse Riding, Kite Surfing and the Lombard Rally even passed by Changue House.
· A plethora of local landmarks such as Bruce’s Stone, a Distillery, a Wind Farm, Lochs and the Harbour at Girvan where The Waverley Paddle steamer visits throughout the summer.
· Superb Wildlife including local farm stocking Rare Breeds such as Belted Galloway and Highland Cows, Shetland Sheep and Hungarian Pigs (with long ginger curly hair!).
· A Birdwatchers Paradise with both Sea, garden and birds of prey.
· Castles and their Gardens Galore – there is known to be at least 46 Castles in Ayrshire, some of which are right on our doorstep!