So. 6 months training and I’m feeling reflective. What have we done in the last 6 months of training?
When I think about it it makes me
realise just how far some of you have come and how awesome you’ve
handled the pressure developing yourselves as both fighters and
- Combatives – literally thousands of punches, kicks, knees and
elbows. Padwork every session. No wonder students are reporting that
after 15 years of martial arts less than 6 months of training in krav
their striking power “has gone up tenfold”.
- Multiple opponent training – you guys do this regular in class. Why?
because statistically you ARE likely to be attacked by multiple
opponents. Remember you will fight how you train. If you don’t train to
fight multiple opponents then you are at an even bigger disadvantage
when you have to.
- Edged weapons. Knives. I can’t believe how many knife attacks I have
heard from all over the country these last 6 months – someone even
being stabbed to death in Fishponds. Why do we train with edged weapons?
Because you have to!
- De-escalating potential violent situations – Using up to date
research on criminal psychology and physiology to teach you how to
recognize fault within yourself, how to calm situations, danger signals
and use of body language to stop fights before they happen.
- Chokes from standing, from the front, from behind, from the side and from the ground. Typical attacks especially for women.
- Headlocks, haymakers and headbutts – typical street attacks. Under pressure. Multiple opponents.
- Full contact sparring – some of you getting massive experience even fighting full contact with head shots in 3:1 ratios!
- The difference between knife threats and knife attacks – this alone will save your life!
- The fundamental principles of Krav Maga – why disengaging is SO important.
- Fitness training! Tabata, circuits, sprints and burpees! I don’t
think there’s a person in the group who attends regulary who can’t say
that they aren’t in the best shape of their life! The numbers speak for
themselves which is why with regular fitness tests you can see how you
have improved – 6 minute test scores have improved by as much as 65% in 6
months. The technical term for a 65% improvement in fitness is
- Groundfighting and closefighting, eyegouges and bites!
- All of this and more done under intense pressure! The most important
aspect – being able to do all of the above under pressure when you most
likely need it! Remember: stress reduces performance.
Its been awesome getting to work with
everyone – seeing fitness and confidence grow and knowing that the
training that you guys do is reality based. no magic ninja techniques.
no belts. no bullshit.
The last 6 months have been amazing
developing these skills that put you leagues ahead of many and give you
much better chances of survival in the world we live.
Everyones getting fitter, stronger and
faster. Skills are coming along amazing. Personally I couldn’t be
happier and I can’t understand how despite some of my best efforts at
reducing you all to sweaty, bruised and bloody lumps you keep coming
back with smiles on your faces ;o)
Train hard, fight easy!
ps the NEXT 6 months are going to be EVEN BETTER!!!!!!!